Thursday 4 July 2013

Hot Fusion - Hot Chilli Puff Pastry Tarte

Cold fusion: Hypothetical type of nuclear reaction that would occur at, or near room temperature. Usually you need millions of degrees for a fusion of nuclear kind of reaction. This is a controversial subject. The whole concept appears to defy the laws of physics. Some scientists believe cold fusion to be a real phenomenon and that it will be at one point in the future, however far far away, the basis for an abundant, cheap source of energy. Others say that cold fusion is impossible.

Well then, it's quite good, we are not dealing with cold fusion today, but with hot fusion. How do we come to this point?
As it happens to be I'm busy trying to grow my own chillies on the windowsill.


Having them is one part, but actually it's not for the sake of growing, but cooking. I need to do something with them. These are (were) my only two habanero chillies. Those are considered to be quite hot ... and so something else should be, too ... Yes, I'm referring to the weather. Some days it might work out.
Ahem ... what to do now with the habanero chilli? I just took the yellow one. The green one still needs some time. Fine, I could do a chilli, a real hot one ...



Just to make sure, I use some other chillies as well ... 

Hot Chilli with Bacon: 

Ingredients:
A splash of olive oil
A few stripes of bacon
1 large onion
4 cloves of garlic
Various chillies ... as you dare or care (I took those from the photo)
500 g minced meat (whatever you prefer)
400 g tinned tomatoes
400 g tinned kidney beans
300 g tinned sweetcorn
Salt
Coriander to serve

Method:
Heat up a pan with the olive oil and start frying the bacon.
You have plenty of time to shed some tears and chop up the onion to as small pieces as you can. Add them to the pan and devote your attention to the garlic. Peel it, chop it, add it.
Allow some time for the onions to soften.
Then add the minced meat to the very same pan and fry it, brown it.
While you are enjoying it, you can also use some time to open the tins and get rid of undesired content.
First add the tinned tomatoes to the pan and some extra water. Bring it to the boil and leave it to simmer for 20 minutes. Beyond this point you can crush the tomatoes and add the beans and sweetcorn.
The nearly complete chilli needs a few more minutes of cooking and then you can already eat it. Why not serve it with some fresh coriander on top and some bread with it, preferably some wheat tortillas. Now that would be quite Mexican, I reckon.



For some that chilli would be too hot to eat, but I survived, craving for some further food action. As you might have noticed, the title of the post isn't announcing Hot Chilli with Bacon.
Along this line we need to do a bit more work here. After all there isn't any fusion yet, maybe just confusion, although I would even doubt that. Therefore we are going to have a tarte, which sounds rather French.

Hot Chilli Puff Pastry Tarte

Ingredients:
The aforecooked Hot Chilli with Bacon (we need leftovers)
A large sheet of puff pastry (according to your needs)
100 g (or less) soft goats cheese
Yet more coriander

Method (yes, kind of):
Roll out, lay out your puff pastry and try to fold, roll some kind of edge on all sides.
Spread the chilli on it. A good thing it would be, if the chilli isn't that wet. On top of that we put bits and pieces of the soft goats cheese.
Remove the leaves from the coriander stalks. Chop up the stalks and spread them on the tarte. Off the tarte goes to the oven for about 30 minutes.
After that you can use your fresh coriander leaves on the tarte.



I don't have to tell you, what to do afterwards. However, if you insist ...



I guess we have a hot fusion here and it's not that hazardous to your health. Ah, in fact, it shouldn't be at all, apart for those who have a food intolerance or can't stand the heat.
The idea for this tarte came to me for various reasons. One is the disgustingly long way to/from work and ... I discovered a new blog: Fromage Homage. A blog devoted to cheese. That works fine for me. Then it's obligatory for me to join the Cheese Please challenge there as well. For July it's soft goats cheese.

Fromage Homage

Hm ... that Hot Chilli Puff Pastry Tarte should work then and ... it should work for July's Cooking with Herbs challenge from Lavender & Lovage as well.

Cooking with Herbs

I could go on like this and add it to the Bloggers Around the World challenge Mexico July 2014. However, that would be quite prophetic and ... who knows what one year will bring or do to any one of us.


Still, you could head over and add your recipe to the current Bloggers Around the World - Morocco. This recipe here absolutely doesn't fit, no matter how hard I try.

Sometimes, you simply need to know, when to stop. Enjoy your meal then ...



4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful chillies! And I love the idea of goat's cheese with something spicy - this looks delicious. Thanks for entering it into the Cheese, Please! Challenge. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had to restrain myself from not eating too much. Somehow I hope, I manage a few more flowers turning into fruits with my habanero. The other chillies are a lot easier to handle without outside help from pollinating insects. Well, I'm so happy you are having the Cheese, Please! Challenge. I really like it ... as I like cheese.

      Delete
  2. FABULOUS recipe Chris and the tart looks amazingly light and delicious! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Karen. I really enjoyed it very much.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.