Sunday 28 July 2013

Failure? Blue Cheese Chocolate Cake

"Sorry seems to be the hardest word". True, it is not so easy to say "sorry". Maybe it's also due to the fact that it is not so easy to admit a failure. There is rather the tendency to blame things on others or on bad circumstances. Nobody is happy to take the blame.
When was the last time you admitted a fault or a failure? You can't remember? No worries.
I guess we are having some chocolate cake first of all.



After reading food blogs for quite some time now and writing one myself for over a year, you feel like you have to experiment with strange or at least strange sounding combinations. I reckon, that's the path to tread.
The path for today involves blue cheese and chocolate. Will it work together in a cake or will it be a failure?

Ingredients:
100 g chocolate, chopped up
125 g butter, melted
100 g blue cheese
100 g sugar
4 eggs
Pinch of salt
150 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
Icing sugar

Method:
Here we go: Sift the flour together with the baking powder into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Through in the pieces of chocolate afterwards. Then take the time to crumble in the blue cheese. Pour over the sugar.
Time to crack some eggs. Just go for it and add them to the bowl. Make it all into one fine cake batter. Most probably you already have a round lightly oiled cake tin at your disposal.
That is where the cake better is meant to go.
By that time you should have your oven heated up to 200 °C, for the cake is heading towards the oven for a 40 minute stay.


After that time the cake comes out again only to cool down a bit. The only thing you still have to do is to cover it with icing sugar.
Of course, you would have to try, whether you like it or not.
What about me, though, did I like it or would I class it rather as a failure? And if I class it as a failure, why post the recipe anyway.
It might be a matter of taste, but I didn't like that cake too much. It wasn't any great chocolate and cheese revelation. But maybe you like it or you see a way to improve it.
Until then I have to say: This cake is a failure.
Well, it's not everything wonderful, gorgeous and delicious. Life isn't always running smooth and so is cooking. So, no worries, live with it and still enjoy life.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, but well done for trying Chris. I have seen recipes for blue cheese and chocolate but have not been brave enough to try the combination myself - not yet anyway. I'm sure my time will come. The cake certainly looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I am sure, your time will come. Well, the cake didn't taste that bad in itself, but ... I wouldn't expect anyone to put it on the favourites list. However, there may be another way ...

      Delete
  2. You are brave to try it, don't think the combination appeals to me too much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm not so sure anymore what made me try, but I like cheese in general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hm good question, will they both work together or not. I have certainly not thought of combining blue cheese and chocolate in cakes and I would need to try it out first. =) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! For some things there is only one way to find out ... so I had to do it.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.