Sunday 14 July 2013

Bloggers Around the World: Thank You For The Food

"So I say
Thank you for the food, the meals I'm eating
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a meal or a drink what are we?
So I say thank you for the food
For giving it to me"

Indeed, we should be grateful for all the different kind of food we can enjoy ... hopefully each and every day. Show some appreciation - everyone in it's own way!
As we had already the round-up of the June Bloggers Around the World - Morocco and no new destination announced, it is about time.


Where is it, we are going next? Maybe you have already guessed at what country I am hinting or otherwise I have to tell you to join our "joyride" to ...

SWEDEN

ABBA and Roxette were not the only ones bringing music from Sweden. You might know the Cardigans, Ace of Base and others. Maybe you even like to do the ABBA City Walk when visiting Stockholm. 
For sure, there are many more interesting things to do while visiting Sweden's capital. It is also known as Venice of the North. Fourteen main islands are there to explore. There's a lot of water. So I am sure you know what that means. You could go and take a stroll through the old town, Gamla Stan, and make your way through narrow and winding alleys. Or you go and see the baroque Royal Palace with it's 600 rooms. If you are in arts a visit at Moderna Museet on the beautiful museum island Skeppsholmen would be something for you.
Even now, while I am writing this, I am tempted to go myself. So far, Copenhagen on the other side of the Öresund, was as close as I got to Sweden.
Now we could go on talking about places such as Malmö or Gothenburg, but hey, how long do you expect this post to be. We haven't even talked about the furniture you can easily assemble yourself with an included hex-wrench. Yet to speak about authors like Stieg Larsson, Henning Mankell, Astrid Lindgren, Camilla Läckberg, Håkan Nesser, or Mari Jungsted. Anyway, this isn't really a book blog, is it?
Then from 1520-23 the king of Sweden had the same first name as I have. Just a side note. I don't like to go into detail concerning the fact that his reign marked the end of the Kalmar Union, a political Union of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden.
This isn't a history blog either.
Consequently we are also not talking about Alfred Nobel, who was born on 21 October 1833 in Stockholm. Although ... the Nobel Prize is awarded for outstanding contributions in the fields of chemistry,  physics, literature, peace, and physiology or medicine. What about a Nobel Prize for outstanding contributions in the field of food? That would be something these days.
Having said this, we are taken directly into our main subject again: food.
When I talk a bit of food now, that might give you some ideas on what to do for this July's Bloggers Around the World.
You don't necessarily need to do a Swedish national dish such as pickled herring, but you can. I also reckon, it's not easy for you to get your hands on some reindeer meat as it is popular in Lappland the largest region in Sweden. Instead resorting to Moose au chocolat would be a nice idea as the Swedish cook from the Muppet Show has done it already. Getting the hint? Swedish inspired dishes are welcome as well for Bloggers Around the World.
Now some more serious suggestions: Swedish meatballs with cranberry sauce, Swedish crisp bread, or gravadlax.
You could also make use of some fine products or ingredients such as: aquavit, berries, or spices like cardamom, cinnamon, or fennel. What about cheese? Västerbotten and Grevé are the most widely known. Maybe I get the chance to get some of it.
I'm sure, if you do some further research of your own, you will come up with some lovely dishes.
Oh, I almost forgot chocolate (apart from the Moose au chocolat). Daim! Doing some cakes, muffins, or buns using Daim chocolate is something lovely, too. 
I remember a post I did last October and it is still getting visits regularly. It had also a bit to do with Sweden: Roxette and Daim. You can have a look at the Crash! Boom! Cake! post.
Here a photo from it:


Well, are you ready for a month of Swedish food? I hope so! That leaves me with just a few remarks:
  1. Link to my blog and this challenge in your post.  
  2. Use the "Bloggers Around the World" badge (the one you find at the beginning and end of this post ... no, I didn't forget to place it!).  
  3. You can use a new or an old post, but it has to be adjusted accordingly (you know, all the linking). 
  4. You can have up to three entries, but ... if you just post on my Facebook page, you can have as many as you want.
  5. Enjoy cooking, eating and posting and ... Thank You For The Food!!!


Hm, I guess, everything has been said. Now it's up to you, to make the best of Bloggers Around the World: Sweden.

"Gimme gimme gimme a post after ... eh ... now"

5 comments:

  1. Is fennel a particularly Swedish ingredient? If so would you include this recipe I just made this week? http://www.carolinemakes.net/2013/07/orange-and-fennel-tuiles.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it seems they like to use fennel. Now, if you manage the audience to believe your post fits, who am I to complain.

      Delete
  2. My husband is Swedish, so I have a few recipes on my blog that I'm linking up with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, I just realized that you're German too! :)

      Delete
    2. Well, yes, kind of. I'm really looking forward to your recipes. That will do a lot for our trip.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.