Tuesday 29 January 2013

Guest Post- Canadian Beer Cheese Soup -5 Days of Soup

Do you like having guests? Then you can share some hostility ... oops ... I wanted to say hospitality, but maybe when you think about your mother-in-law, you might want ...
Guests! Focus on that. I didn't have any guests for a while now. However, if, then it's very lovely to cook or bake something nice.
Today, though, we are having a guest cooking for us. Therefore, without any further ado, I like to stop talking and give the word to Tara ...


Hi, I am Tara from Noshing With The Nolands and I am so excited to be here today. I have been blogging for almost a year now up here in The Great While North, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Loving every minute of it. I met Chris through a Facebook group that is so very helpful for bloggers like us to communicate and support one another. When Chris asked me if I could guest post and to do something Canadian I wasn't sure what to do. There are a few Canadian recipes but not like other countries that have a huge cuisine attached to them. We are a melting pot here so our cuisine is very diverse, in my opinion. We have a lot of French Canadian recipes but not much out west where I live. We are influenced more by Texas as we have loads of cowboys and The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth, the Calgary Stampede. Well I didn't want to go there as that is not what you really think of when you think of Canadian food. The Caesar cocktail was invented here in Calgary but I had done a lot on that subject already.
Hmmm, where else to go??? I wasn't quite sure then I thought of something I have never made before and thought I would give it a whirl, Canadian Beer Cheese Soup. I selected a lovely red amber ale from a brewery called Alexander Keith's. We do have a great selection of beer up here in Canada. I think beer is pretty Canadian!! It goes nicely with our sports of hockey and football watching!!
I have to say this soup turned out so magnificent, thick and creamy with an incredible taste. We all loved it!! And I sure hope you enjoy it too!!


Canadian Beer Cheese Soup

Guest Post- Canadian Beer Cheese Soup -5 Days of Soup

6 slices of bacon, cut into lardons
1 cup sweet onion
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
900 ml. chicken stock
250 ml. half and half cream
200 gms. old white cheddar, grated
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. Tabasco
2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
2/3 bottle of amber ale
Cheddar cheese, green onions and freshly grated pepper for garnish.


Saute the bacon low and slow in a small fry pan. Do not crisp it! Remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
In a large pot over medium low heat saute the onion in the 4 Tbsp. butter, low and slow until translucent. Add the flour and stir and cook for 1 min. Slowly add the chicken stock and whisk until smooth, bring to a simmer and whisk until thickened. Add the half and half and heat to a simmer. Add the grated cheddar and stir to melt with a wooden spoon.
Add the pepper, mustard, Tabasco, worcestershire and whisk again to combine. Add the beer and let simmer gently for a five minutes, stirring often. Add the bacon and serve. You can garnish with cheddar cheese, green onions and a grating of fresh pepper.
If you would like to follow me I would be thrilled at Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest.
Thanks again Chris for allowing me to be here. Cheers, Tara

Well, I was really happy, having such a lovely guest. It was really a pleasure having you here, Tara. That soup is absoluetly something for me with all that cheese and ale in it. 
Now I only have to get some amber ale ...

2 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious ... beer cheese soup .. mmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell you the truth ... it's really delicious! I tried it myself and it was so hard to stop eating from it.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.